Two-factor authentication (2FA) is a method of establishing access to your online account that requires the user to provide two different types of information i.e. login password and other verification code. So that means even if your password is compromised, if you have turned on 2-step authentication, that person needs to have access to your mobile phone and other email accounts too. so it is much more secure.
Setting up phone numbers, email addresses and turning on 2-step verification on your Yahoo account is fairly straightforward. Follow these steps to set up for your own account.
Steps To Setup Yahoo Two-Step Authentication
- First of all, open up a Yahoo mail website and log in to your Yahoo email account.
- Then click on the profile icon at the top right-hand side. Then click on ‘Account Info‘ link
- Now click on ‘Account Security’ from the left tab.
- Scroll down and click on ‘Turn on 2SV‘ then click on ‘Get Started‘ button from the pop-up box.
- Now select Phone number as your 2-step verification method as it is easier.
- However, you can choose ‘Security Key’ if you want to. This uses a physical authentication device (Your USB Drive, Bluetooth for verification)
- If you already have a mobile number added to your Yahoo account, select that number. Yahoo will send the verification code on your mobile phone.
- If you want to use a different mobile number for 2 step verification, then just click on ‘I want to use a different phone number‘ and add the phone number that you want to use.
- Enter the verification code you have received on your mobile. Then click Continue. If you haven’t received any code, then just click on Resend.
- Now Yahoo 2-step authentication is successfully turned on.
How To Log In When Yahoo 2-Step Authentication is Turned On?
- Go to www.yahoomail.com or open up a Yahoo mail app.
- Type in your username or email address or your registered number then click on Continue.
- Then enter your password and then click on Next.
- Now you need to select the mobile number to receive the verification code.
- You cannot re-use this verification code. It is different every time you log in.
- Enter the verification code you have received, then click on Verify.
- If you haven’t received any code, you can request another one after 60 seconds.
- Finally, you will be logged in to your Yahoo mail account.
Remember: You can always turn off the 2-step authentication login anytime you want. Also, Yahoo will save your device i.e. your laptop or your mobile phone as a trusted device that you use regularly to use your Yahoo mail account. You won’t be asked to verify new sign-ins using your phone. However, you will be asked to verify unusual activity.
When you are logging in to your Yahoo account from other devices or even new browsers, then you need to select the mobile number, then Yahoo will send you a 6-digit code or OTP.